Gas Safety Certificate

93 are delighted to provide you with some salient information and common queries that are derived in relation to Gas Safety Certificates

What is a Gas Safety Certificate?

A Gas Certificate is basically what is says on the tin- a certification of gas safety!  Post surveying and analysis of your property, be it commercial or domestic, a qualified person will declare the safety standard from a gas perspective.  Said certificate, or report, will indicate the checks that the qualified person performed- it isn’t a legal requirement for the qualified person (engineer) to provide this type of documentation (as advised by the regulatory body) but the engineer will provide it or similar.  The gas safety information is indicative that the gas appliance or gas fitting has been checked to ensure that that it is in good, safe, working order and that it meets the required gas safety standards.  Furthermore, the information may highlight when the next service is due.Gas

Why is it so important that I arrange a service / Gas Safety Certificate?

There are numerous factors as to why this is required and the fundamental rationale as to why is safety! It is very important to arrange for your appliances to be regularly surveyed/analysed/serviced to ensure that they are working efficiently and not putting you, your family, friends, tenants, employees, property, and office in any form of danger.  A gas safety check is advised on all gas fittings and appliances every year- so do not forget to set that reminder to yourself or the person that is responsible for ensuring that said exercise is conducted.

So who is responsible?

Landlords have a legal responsibility in terms of gas safety.  All landlords must have a current Gas Safety Certificate to show that appliances have received an annual gas safety check by a qualified person.  If you rent a property, you are at liberty to request this documentation from your landlord to give you the comfort and evidence that your setting is safe.  When reviewing this record, as a landlord or tenant, at a minimum your gas safety check must contain; a description and location to the appliance and/or flue checked, a date of when said appliance and/or flue was checked, the address of the property where the appliance and/or flue was checked, details highlighting any defects and actions that may be required or taken to correct, the results of operational safety checks carried out on the appliances, the name and address of the landlord (or the landlords agent) and the name, registration number and signature of the engineer that conducted the review.

Homeowners are encouraged to conduct safety checks on an annual basis. It is also worth considering that when you sell your property the mortgage provider involved in the transaction requires receipt of this documentation for the purposes of their file.  Furthermore, after a new gas appliance is fitted (excluding flueless cookers) the Building Regulations in England and Wales require your new installation to be notified to your local council/authority.  That said, your engineer is responsible for doing this and once he/she has done so you should receive a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate.

Hold on….. what is the difference between a gas safety check and a gas service?

Good question!  A gas service provides you with a good clean of your appliance in addition to a gas safety check.  For either a check or a service, essential safety checks are conducted to ensure that gas fittings and appliances are safe to use on a day to day basis.

So what checks are conducted?

The engineer will check that the appliance is correctly burning the gas, check that there is a sufficient supply of fresh air to ensure that the gas is burning correctly, check that all safety devices are in good working order and shutting the appliance off should a fault arise and check the flue to make sure that fumes are being safely removed externally.

Where can I find a qualified person to provide me with this service? can provide you with a qualified and insured Gas Safe registered engineer at your convenience. Gas Safe registered engineers are officially registered to work safely and legally on boilers, cookers, fires and all other gas appliances in England and Wales.

This narrative is general guidance only and is not warranted as any form of advice to the reader. are available to service all your gas requirements should you require this service.

This post was created by Trade Certificates

Comments are closed.