The Way You Know About Different Forms and Usage of Trusses
The roof is the most important part of your home and you need to build up the roof with proper support. There are mainly two types of supports used for the roof construction, the traditional support and the trusses roof support. Second one is the best option because you can avail various designs and materials of trusses for your roof. Today in the construction world truss is a very widely used concept. Trusses are actually a triangular shaped structure where straight pieces of rods, beams or wooden planks are interconnected to provide support to the entire framework. While constructing modern buildings, nowadays trusses are widely used to provide support to the internal loadings, floors and roofs. By using trusses engineers are now able to provide suspended ceilings in no time. Trusses have gained great popularity in the construction world due to the following reasons:
- These prefabricated structures come with great longevity
- These are comparatively light weighted which prevent deflection to a large scale
Applications of trusses
Trusses are primarily used in the construction of huge structures or buildings. In practical life people can see usage of trusses in construction of leisure buildings, auditoriums, airport terminals, sports stadiums, aircraft hangars etc. For these structures trusses are mainly used for providing horizontal stability. Trusses carry a considerable load exerted on them from roof. These are also very effective in carrying loads as well. They also prevent the global bending scenarios. In the areas where wind is an important factor to be considered while constructing buildings, in those cases also trusses are used for the purpose of transverse restraint.
Different of forms of trusses
There are mainly two types of trusses available, flat trusses and pitched trusses.
- Flat truss are designed with parallel cords and it can simply hold the construction significantly. On the other part, pitched trusses are designed with some inclination and pitches so that it can be changed at any time.
- Trusses consist of assemblies of compression and tension elements. The different beams, wooden planks or rods of the trusses are called chords. Under loads of gravitation bottom and top chords provide tension and compression resistance to the impacts of bending.
- The shear forces are prevented by the bracings. The trusses vary on the basis of geometric shapes and people choose them on the basis of their requirements and choices. Here in the below mentioned points, some of the important types of trusses will be discussed.
Other varieties that you can look out for:
- Pratt truss or N shaped truss – The buildings where the span is 20 meters to 100 meters long, these trusses are used. These types of trusses are effective especially where the uplift load is predominant and one such example is aircraft hangar.
- Warren trusses – Long span buildings ranging between 20 meters and 100 meters are the perfect place to apply these types of trusses. These trusses are ideal for providing horizontal support in cases like crane or gantry griders.
- Trusses called North light– These types of trusses are mainly used short span buildings like factory workshops. These trusses allow the structure to gain highest possible benefits from the natural lighting. They use the glazing available on the steeper pitch facing north or may be north east to minimize the solar gain. Buildings where north light trusses are available, they can minimize their carbon emissions by employing thermal modeling.
- Fink truss – These trusses are economical. The chords are arranged and subdivided into smaller elements. These trusses are effective for elevated roofs of shorter span. These trusses provide tremendous upward support and service integration.
When you choose the trusses for your home, it is suggested that to examine the building layout and the exterior structure or frame work thoroughly and decide accordingly which truss can suit your building construction properly.