Should you buy window fan or ceiling fan for this spring?
Spring season is usually transition between winter and summer, and people require different types of a fan for cooling and warming. There are different types of a fan to use, such as window fan and ceiling fan. Windows fan is designed to be placed within a frame. The frame can be in the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, or sitting room. It cools the room by exhausting hot air within the room outside or flowing fresh air from outside into the house. It works better in combination with an AC unit.
On the other hand, the ceiling fan is a mechanical fan. They are hanged on the ceiling with the room, using a solid rod holding it far away from people’s reach. It rotates either clockwise or anticlockwise when turned ON. Ceiling fan hub is mounted using 3, or 4 blades.
Windows fan can have one big fan or two side by side fans known as the twin window fan. The best window fan has an automatic reversible installed feature allowing it to work as exhaust and intake.
How does window fan work
If you choose a fan with correct cubic feet per minute (CFM) i.e. large enough and use in combination with an Air Conditioning Unit, you can possibly to cool the whole house with a limited budget.
There are mainly two types of ceiling fan depending on motors it has. Motor type includes DC Motor Fan and AC Motor Fan. The DC motor fan can rotate either in clockwise or anticlockwise mode. As the fun rotates in an anticlockwise direction, the air within the house flows downward. For clockwise direction, the atmosphere will shift course and flow upwards.
Therefore, a DC motor can be used both in winter, summer, spring, and autumn. It is also 70% energy efficient compared to AC motor fan. Moreover, many people prefer to use DC motor compared to AC motored fan. The AC motored Ceiling fan only rotates in an anticlockwise direction.
Window fan consumes between 40 and 45 watts when operating on full speed. Whereas, Ceiling fan consumes between 60 and 70 watts, usually with a voltage of either 120 or 110.
Specific features to a window fan
- Their motor is water-resistant; hence they are safe outside even during the rainy season.
- The blades used in Window fan rotates in both direction; what you need to do is change the direction using the reversible switch.
- It can be operated using a remote control at your comfort.
- Finally, window fans are specifically having programmable thermostat built in them.
Specific feature to ceiling fan
- Programmed and integrated along with LED light for some brands.
- Others have a pull chain for turning the fun on and off quickly.
- Only for the top-rated ceiling fans, they have a remote control, while the others do not have.
- The motor can run in both directions 360 degrees.
Now that we know different features of the ceiling fan and fan attached to a window, let’s turn to their pro and cons below.
Pros of window fan
- This type of fan was scientifically proven to be safe for use at home.
- A window fan is small; hence you do not need extra space to put it.
- They bring in fresh air from outside, inside the house.
- It can be cleaned easily at any time.
- Can cool specific area you want to be cooled even if you wish to the whole house cooled.
- They are quiet even while on the operation
Cons of window fan
- May require a professional for installation due to its complexity, but not necessary
- At times, window fan can pull in dust and bad odour from outside, inside the house. Though, there are window fans that come along with air filters.
Pros for using a ceiling fan
- Due to their location, they can last longer and need no space on the floor. Usable during all seasons.
- The number of blades differs hence you will have a choice to make before buying.
- Simple and easy installation.
- They have high power and can cover the whole room at once compared to the window fan, which is small in size.
- It takes a few minutes to clean
Cons of using a ceiling fan
- Require frequent maintenance, such as changing the capacitor.
- It creates a particular noise while spinning.
- Its design is not suitable for modern houses.
During spring, the season is transforming between winter and summer. Hence the best fan I recommend is a window fan. This fan is capable of exchanging air from outside to inside whereas the ceiling fan only recycles the same hot air inside the house.