7 Questions You Need to Ask Your REALTOR(R) Before Hiring
Looking to buy or sell a home? Fantastic. And you need the right real estate agent by your side. Here are the must-ask questions to know it’s the right pick.
Purchasing a home is a monumental, hair tingling process.
On one end you’re excited about becoming a home owner but the other has you anxiety riddled because of the upcoming finances.
This is why we place our trust in realty agents.
Realty agents come at a cost but take care of the items we, consumers, wouldn’t be adept to do — such as:
- Presenting offers to the sellers
- Acting as an intermediary for negotiations
- Advising for market conditions, prices, mortgages, and legal matters
- Preparation of documents
- Handling property closings
Realty agents are indisposable for the majority of home buyers who want to keep their focus on the moving rather than the paperwork.
A realtor well versed in the industry may sound great on paper but could completely miss the mark. Likewise, younger individuals may not have experience but are feisty and have a grip on the marketplace more so than their seniors.
Confused about where to start the search for a realtor?
Seven Questions to Ask a Realtor Before Hiring
Purchasing a home is not an activity you want to go in blindly.
It’s important to ask and record questions to develop a better decision on the realtor you’ll work with.
Here are several of these questions worth asking:
- What is your experience? – An agent could be well versed yet lack the drive that comes with youth. Take into consideration the experience of the individual along with their big wins and losses to get a sense of what they’ll bring to the negotiation table.
- Do you have references? – The realtor should have references so you can see actual feedback and data about their process. If they aren’t able to pull references then you need to bail.
- What’s the market like? – You would hope the realtor not only understands the sales process but also the market. Knowing the market will help earn top dollar during a sale and best pricing when purchasing.
- How are you different? – Realty is an industry many jumps into. Some play it by the books because it’s easy while others go above and beyond. Ask how the individual plans to do more versus the competition. This should give you an idea of their honesty, worth, analytical nature, and communication skills.
- What do you charge? – Pricing will be a focal point but it’s not the most important. Yet, it’s still good to understand what to expect with their commission and any extra fees tacked on.
- What services are provided? – Find whether the individual is worthwhile by completing additional services versus the competition. These services may include extra marketing expenses (when selling) or how far they’ll go to find the right home (when buying).
- How many clients are you currently representing? – A realtor that’s stretched thin may speed up the process and fail to land the perfect deal. Yet, you’ll want someone that shows they’re hungry by having a few clients. Find a middle ground so they’re willing to work for you though also knows how to get the job done.
Becoming a new homeowner is a wonderful, life changing experience though it can seem like an uphill battle. Luckily there are realtors available to help navigate the process and find you in the home of your dreams.
- Learn about the real estate market through blogs and news articles
- Pay for inspections and take action on the suggestions from professionals
Most importantly: read REALTOR® reviews to get an understand of the individual and how they will bring the best to the closing table.
Take a breather and go at it with clarity. The right realtor could help you save tens of thousands of dollars on the home buy.
What questions do you recommend others to ask their realtors?